Friday, February 27, 2009

Seed Starting

Today Gigi and I decided to get some seeds started for our garden. I am VERY much a beginner when it comes to gardening. I had a small garden the year before last and successfully grew tomatoes, cucumbers basil, cilantro and parsley. It might have just been beginner's luck, but I am going to attempt it again this year - and also some different things this time too!

Last time I was able to get the seeds directly into the ground at the right time. This year has been unusually cold for us so I thought it might be best to start them indoors. This is my firs time doing this so hopefully it will work out.

Anyhow, Gigi and I had fun getting them ready. I was even able to get some academic skills worked in! we talked about how seeds grow and some of the different plants, foods and trees that are grown from seeds. Gigi practiced counting with seeds as well.



She filled the little pods with the dirt.



She put in the seeds and then covered them with more dirt.



Then watered them. She did a great job!



I am attempting cucumbers, basil, cilantro and tomatoes again. I am also trying peppers, beans and carrots for the first time. I should be able to put them into the ground in a few weeks. I'll let you know how it goes.

No comments: