Monday, December 15, 2008

Future possibilities

Well, hubby and I had a nice discussion the other night about the future of our family. Mainly, the possibility of expanding our family in the future.

He has always known that I've always wanted four children. This was told even while we were still dating. Turns out, although he didn't state a specific number, he doesn't know if he is quite done having kids either.

Our biggest problem is the fear of being able to provide for more children. Everything gets more expensive every year. There's the day to day worries of clothing everyone and getting healthy meals on the table. Then there's also the future worries of college and weddings. We don't want just scrape by either. We want to be able to give our kids all the things we didn't have growing up. It all takes money. Would we have enough to do it four times over? Or even three times over?

We are still not sure about all of that, but we're not ready to give up either.

So, the decision was made to hold off on the vasectomy. Instead, I am getting an IUD placed on the 29th. It will be inserted by midwife in the office and it will last for up to 10 years. Once it is placed, it is effective immediately with an effective rate of 99.4%. I never have to do anything after that. Nothing to remember to do so there's no chance of human error rendering it ineffective.

Although it is good for up to 10 years, I don't have to keep it in that long. So, in 2 or 3 years from now, we can discuss the possibility of more children again, reassess our finances and living situation and go from there. I will have it removed then and either try to conceive or hubby will get the vasectomy at that point.

The best part is, it's covered by our insurance. I only have to pay a $20 co-pay one time.

We will see what happens!

No comments: