Friday, December 5, 2008

First solo outing

Well, hubby went back to work today. He sure wasn't happy about it. Although I enjoy having him around,I am excited about getting into my own routine with the kids.Things just work differently when he's around during the day it seems.

So, this morning I decided to take the kids t0 Walmart for a little shopping - my first time taking them both out on my own. Once we were awake, Gigi and I sat down to breakfast while J slept. When we were done, I quickly washed up and got ready while Gigi took care of her bathroom needs. When I was done, J woke up - screaming to be fed. So, I nursed him while Gigi got dressed. Somehow I managed to brush and style Gigi's hair while J continued eating. When J was finally content I gave him a quick diaper change and out the door we went, armed with a list.

When we got to walmart, J was sleeping in his carseat. I took him out and placed him in the kangaroo pouch* and convinced Gigi to sit on the shopping cart. I stuck to my list and zipped through the aisles. When we were all checked out I loaded everyone and everything into the van and headed home.

Once home, I realized Gigi had fallen asleep. So, I took sleeping J, carseat and all into the house. Then I went back for Gigi. Finally I went back for the groceries.

Just as I brought in the last bag, J woke up - as usual, screaming to be fed.

Perfect timing!

So I survived and thankfully I must admit this was an easy trip. Gigi was very well behaved and didn't give me a hard time about sitting in the cart like she usually does and I was very fortunate that J slept the entire time!

SUCCESS!

*Kangaroo pouch = a front pack carrier. We started calling it a kangaroo pouch when Gigi was a baby. Since her reflux gave her so much pain, the pediatrician recommended we give her "kangaroo care", placing her on our chest with skin to skin contact to comfort her. As she got a bit bigger we started using the front pack sine she calmed down so well while being held up against a chest. So, since it was technically a modified version of kangaroo care, we started calling it a kangaroo pouch.

No comments: