Friday, January 23, 2009

Preparing for the New Year...Again

Monday is Chinese New Year. So, once again I've been cleaning. Ridding our home of the "bad luck"that may be hiding in our home to make room for all the "good luck" that the new year will bring. At least this time around is much easier since I just did a big cleaning at the end of 2008.

On our trip to the library yesterday, I checked out several books about Chinese New Year.



Today, Gigi and I read them together. Although I do not follow all the traditions of the new year - and honestly I don't even know them all - I want to expose Gigi to it since it is in our blood.

We made this paper dragon together which we will use to decorate our dinner table on Monday.



We started to make a paper lantern, but did not finish it. I will post pictures of it once it's completed.

This worksheet was from one of my new Scholastic books. Gigi had to connect the dots in order from A to N.



We will probably do one or two more things before Monday.

2 comments:

Garden State Kate said...

We love celebrating the Chinese New Year here too. The #1 "foreign"
language spoken in our town is Mandarin. Princess is already cleaning her room to get ready. ;-)

Rockin' Moroccan Mama said...

How sweet. I have to admit, we have not celebrated this year. In the past my favorite activity we did was make kimonos. We painted a plain white t-shirt. I then cut the t-shirt in half.( I use an old one of DH's). Cut a strip off the bottom and use that has your rope to tie the kimono. Ta-da, a kimono.