I am very pleased to announce that I think in a few month's short time, Gigi may be reading some simple words!!
I have been slowly working with her on identifying the letters of the alphabet and the sounds that they make. We have been using a variety of resources for this purpose including ABC discovery phonics program, watching Leapfrog's Letter Factory video and also watching a show called "Super Why" on PBS.
Well, I never really know with Gigi how much info she is actually retaining. Most days I feel like at least 80% of what I am trying to teach her goes in one ear and out the other. Her attention span is not great and any little noise in the house can sometimes be a distraction.
Yet she always seems to surprise me out of the blue.
Just the other day she asked daddy if he would play "Candyland" with her. Of course he said yes. As he was mixing up the playing cards to get things ready, Gigi was checking out all the pictures on the game board. She then looked at the word "start". She proceeded to name all the letters in the word one at a time, "S - T - A - R -T" I was already amazed when I heard that alone! But then she continued. She made the sound of each individual letter!! She attempted to put it all together and only needed a little nudging before she cried out in delight, "START! That's where we start, Daddy!"
I was SO proud!! The best part was when hubby looked at me with that , " I didn't know she knew her letters" look in his eyes! That REALLY made my day because it shows him that I DO try to educate our child while he is working!
Progress!!! I am very pleased!!
Monday, October 27, 2008
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
1 comment:
It does make you feel so proud and to think we got them there. :)
Post a Comment