Sunday, April 18, 2010

Baby Shower Gifts

A friend of mine is pregnant with her first baby, a girl, due in May. Saturday was her baby shower.
She had discussed with me that she wanted to try cloth diapering with her little girl. Her sisters use "G Diapers" (which is like a hybrid between a disposable and a cloth), but she wanted to try full cloth.

So, I decided to sew a couple of things for her.

I made her two fitted diapers in a newborn size. These were made using a free pattern I found online - Darling Diapers Newborn.

I like the look of serged diapers but I don't have (nor do I really want) a serger. So, I figured using my overcast foot and just the right stitch I could fake it. I think it worked :)

This first diaper was my first time ever making a fitted - so the first time making an internal soaker....and so it probably does not have as many layers as it should have.



The next one came out MUCH better. Very squishy - and I am confident it is very absorbent.




Here they are stacked up:



Then, since fitteds have no waterproof layer, I made a cover using the same pattern.



Here are both diapers with the cover:



Then I made a couple of little dresses. These were from a pattern called "Itty bitty baby dress" from Made By Rae - also a free pattern online. The first one is the small newborn size - fits from about 5 pounds!!



The next one was from the same pattern, but slightly larger - like for a month old.



And here is the entire gift all together:




She loved everything and was very grateful!

I loved the Itty Bitty dress so much I will be making a larger version for Gigi - I think she would look so cute in a dress like this!!



No comments: