Since Gigi was just a toddler I have been playing around with the option of homeschooling her full time once she reached preschool and kindergarten age. I never once doubted my ability to teach her. In fact, I was always fairly confident that I could do a better job teaching her at home than the public schools could. This confidence was mainly due to the horror stories I have heard about our school system here (for example - the things that they expect a Kindergartner to know at the end of the year, my child already knew at the age of 2.) mixed with the fact that I know my child's learning style better than a teacher that has never met her, plus public school teachers have the challenge of dealing with 20+ students at once - all whom are probably on different levels.
I'm not trying to say anything negative about the teachers of the public school system - only about the system itself. Unfortunately the teachers are bound to the rules and "expectations" of the system leaving little to no time for individual needs of the students.
With homeschooling you can tailor everything to the needs and passion of your child. So, if Gigi is on a kindergarten level with math, but only a preschool level with reading - that's ok.
In most states, preschool is not thought of as the start of the school years. It's not a requirement, nor is it even offered - unless you want to pay a hefty price for a private prek. Basically, preschool is usually an overpriced, glorified daycare.
However, where we live preschool is offered to all 4 year olds, free of charge. It is a half day program that runs 3 hours aday, 5 days a week - following the public school schedule. It's called VPK - Voluntery Pre Kindergarten.
As her fourth birthday approached, we began discussing school. We came to the decision that Gigi would attend the local Montessori school that offered VPK, if she was accepted, and then I would homeschool for kindergarten and then have the public schools evaluate her for the 1st grade. We figured entering public school might be ok at first grade because we were told that there were things in place to help students as far as placement based on their individual abilities. However, there are no such programs or exceptions on the kindergarten level.
Well, since learning of Gigi's ADHD diagnosis, I have been having mixed feelings about everything. I feel this great tugging on my heart that tells me my child needs ME, not a school. On the other hand, I am afraid that if I don't get her into a school setting she will be ill prepared for school later. Without the ADHD diagnosis I had no reservations about keeping her home - now I am full of doubt.
Not doubt in myslef to actually teach her - but doubt that she will adapt later. Before I had no fear of her adjusting easily into the public school first grade after being homeschooled for prek and kindergarten. Now I am worried that without being in a school setting she will have trouble come first grade.
The problem is, I still feel that I could do a better job at meeting her needs and teaching her based on her individual abilities - I'm just worried that she will have problems adjusting later on - especially when compared with kids that will have gone through VPK and kindergarten in the school system.
I'm really not sure what to do at this point - however she IS now accepted and being held a spot for the Montessori school for VPK which begins August 25.
So, I have some time still to think and pray about it.
Saturday, June 27, 2009
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
2 comments:
I know you didn't really ask for opinions, so feel free to dismiss mine.
Being that I worked for a public school system, I'm pretty sure you know where I'm going with this. Although I worked for a VERY good public school system, and that's the only experience I have.
It may be true that you can tailor your teachings to your daughter, but especially with an ADHD diagnosis, it's important for her to learn to adapt to and conform to the rules of schools and society. You very well may be able to teach her more (I can assure you that Tyler learned very little of the true academics this year) but she's with you the rest of the day to learn those things if you choose. I honestly sent Tyler for the social aspect of it, which I think would be really good for Gigi. I LOVED Tyler's experience at VPK, even if it were just for the socialization alone.
Like i said, you can still teach her at home. And the great thing about VPK is that you haven't paid a thing, so if it doesn't work out you can always pull her. No harm done, in my opinion.
Good luck with your decision. I understand why it's so hard for you.
I love the way you are living fully with your children.
I think you rock!!
((hugs))
I think you know where I'm going with this, and what my opinion would be if you asked me.lol
Thank you for stopping by today, I've missed you all and I will post the turtles on Sun or Tues,lol.
Post a Comment