Friday, September 19, 2008

Recap of the week; September 15-19

Well, another week has come and gone! I'll be honest, we didn't do much formal schooling this week - I was having a lot of those, "Mommy is really tired today" moments this week. This belly of mine is getting heavier by the minute it seems!

While we didn't do much of any of the planned lesson for the week, we did do quite a bit of "everyday" learning, which is just as good at this age.

For one thing, we baked brownies together! I did sneak in some learning here too. I showed Gigi the back of the brownie mix box and asked her how may eggs we needed. So, she had to show that she recognized the number "3" which she did! She also counted the eggs out herself from the carton and cracked them into the mixing bowl.



She poured in the chocolate mix and Mama measured and put in the oil and water.




Gigi mixed it all up and Mama poured it in the pan and put it into the oven.




Then Gigi had the pleasure of licking the spatula!! She very much enjoyed herself!




She even cleaned up the mess she made on the counter!




When they were all done, Mama took them out, let them cool and then cut them up. Then we enjoyed our snack together.
We talked about the smell of the brownies, the way they felt and of course - how they tasted! This finished up our Senses unit. It was lots of fun! She did a really great job!!



On another day this week, Gigi made her own lunch. She made (with a little help from Mama) her own peanut butter and jelly sandwich - one of our favorite lunches.









We spent one afternoon exploring the front yard with magnifying glasses.



Gigi found a little spider on our flag pole which held her interest for all of 3 minutes.



We did finish up our Community Helpers unit this week. We talked about doctors and mail carriers. We read several different books together and Gigi colored some pictures of doctors and mail carriers. Then we did a craft based on each.

We made a "doctor bag" after we talked about Doctors and why they are important to our community. This is what it looks like closed:



Inside the bag, Gigi glued in some items we had around the house that she thought a doctor would use to help someone. The Popsicle stick is supposed to be a tongue depressor. She wanted a stethoscope, but I didn't feel like making one on the spot - though in hindsight I easily could have just to make her happy. Oh well!

Here is the inside of her bag:



Our mail carrier craft was a mail carrier's satchel. We made it out of a cereal box. Gigi decorated it and I helped her spell out the word "mail" to add to it and then I tied the ribbon on so she could wear it.



Then she colored in a picture of an apple and practiced writing her capital and lowercase "A", which she did excellent! I took this sheet and folded it in half. I instructed Gigi to color a "stamp" in the upper right hand corner of the page and then I helped her write "Daddy". She then was able to deliver the mail to Daddy using her new satchel. She was quite proud of herself. It was very cute!



So, in reality of what was planned for this week, we DID complete our senses unit and our community helpers unit. We also reviewed the letter "A"

We did not get to her math lessons from her Abeka book, but we did go over number recognition.

So for next week, my goal is to cover:

  • Phonics and Writing: The letter "B, b"
  • Math: Lessons 14-16 in Abeka book
  • Social Studies: Transportation; cars and motorcycles
  • Science: Colors; mixing colors, rainbows, changing of leaves in fall etc

Then of course thrown in there this week we have dance class, karate class, an eye doctor appointment for Gigi, a prenatal appointment for me and preparing for Uncle B's visit (which I am thinking about having Gigi make something special for him one day but I haven't figure out what yet) on Saturday and preparing for our baby sprinkle celebration on Sunday. We will be pretty busy this week all around so again, if we don't get to it, there's always next week!




No comments: