Ok, so Gigi's behavior has been improving but it is a very slow and long process. I know that these things take time, but i can't help but think that there is more that we could be dong to help her.
So here is what we have done over the past year;
- Although we do not stick to it 100% of the time, we have changed her diet to follow along the lines of the ADHD Diet the pediatrician had recommended last year. Like, I said, we don't follow it perfectly and we don't follow it all the time, but we stick to it as much as possible and it's now been a year. She had warned that this would not be the total answer, but I honestly hoped to see a more dramatic difference. the thing we most failed to follow was the dairy. Gigi LOVES milk, cheese and yogurt and I just couldn't bear to take away these things that are in every other way very healthy for kids.
- We have had regular appointments with a behavior therapist. Unfortunately, he really has not suggested anything we had not tried before but he does force us to have accountability. Knowing that we have to go back into his office and report on what we have done and what has worked/not worked makes us try harder I suppose. It's a little sad to me that I need this push, but hey, I am only human. Anyway, he has suggested some breathing techniques to her to try and control her emotions, listening to some calm music with headphones to take her away from surrounding distractions and frustrations, reward charts to visually show her how she is behaving day to day and a visual routine board on what is expected throughout the day.
But, as I said earlier, I keep feeling that there is more we can be doing for her. So, being the internet junkie that I am, I began to surf the web. I came across some forums for parents of ADHD children where they discussed what worked for them. I wrote down a few interesting options and then did some independent research on each.
Namely, I looked into DHA supplements, Vitamin B, some balm for sleep help and an herbal tea for sleep as well.
Well, I went to our local health store and began searching. I spoke with one of the associates in the store about what I was looking for. I never mentioned the specific items I was looking for, only that I was looking for some things to help my ADHD child. She immediately recommended DHA. So, I picked up a bottle of liquid DHA made specifically for children. It is said to help with focus. The associate also recommended another supplement I had not heard of; Behavior Balance - DMG, also in liquid form. This is for improved behavior patterns and social skills and contains Vitamin B which I wanted to get anyway. Together the supplements totaled nearly $50, but I am really hoping to see a difference in our little girl.
I also wanted to pick up a really good multi-vitamin that is free of artificial colors, dyes or sweeteners, but there were so many choices I felt overwhelmed. My dad's wife is a dietitian and nutritionist and she had sent us some chewable vitamins a few years ago that were really good - maybe I will ask her what they were called and stick with those.
So, Gigi is to have a 1/2 teaspoon of each supplement a day. I gave her the first dose today so I will give it a couple weeks before reporting back on how/if it is working.
The other thing I looked into were some things to help with her sleep. She has a very hard time winding down at night, something I have learned is very common among ADHD children. I read about a balm that you rub on the temples that has some aromatherapy qualities to calm and relax. The health food store didn't have any of this though. The other thing I had read about was easy enough to get from the local supermarket; Celestial Seasonings Sleepytime Tea. Tonight was the third night I have given it to Gigi, but already I have noticed a big difference. I hope it continues.
If you want to know more about this tea and our experience so far with it, you should check out my new blog (yes, I have yet ANOTHER blog) at www.busybuzzer.blogspot.com.
Well, I think that is all for now. Hopefully at least some of this will work!
Wednesday, June 9, 2010
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment